Orana Early Childhood Intervention

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I need a referral to access OECI?

Yes, a referral is necessary. Anyone including family members, Paediatricians, Child & Family Health Nurses, Early Childhood Educators can refer to OECI with parental permission. Children with delays in 2 or more areas or who have a diagnosed disability are eligible for service. If you are unsure please contact the centre.

A referral form can be forwarded to you to complete.

Your referral will be processed and if your child meets eligibility for service their name will be placed on the service register and a Key Worker will be appointed.

2. Does my child need a diagnosis?

No, but we can assist you along this path if you so desire. A letter from a Paediatrician is beneficial for funding requirements.

3. What geographical area does OECI cover?

State Government funding allows us to offer services to those families residing in the areas of Dubbo, Narromine, Wellington, Gilgandra, Warren, Trangie and Coonabarabran.

Children with access to the Federal Governments Helping Children with Autism and Better Start Initiatives may choose service from OECI as we are a panel provider and do not have area restrictions with these two initiatives.

4. How much does it cost to use OECI services?

Family fees are used to supplement Government funding so that we can provide a high quality early childhood intervention service. Donations from our community partnerships assist in keeping the costs down and allow us to offer a diverse range of services.

For families who are eligible for the Federal Government funding for Helping Children with Autism & Better Start Initiatives use their funds to purchase services from the centre.

5. Who are the Staff at OECI?

Our team comprises of educators and therapists in the disciplines of Speech Pathology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Behaviour Support.

Meet Our Staff

6. What happens when I come to OECI?

Your first visit is likely to be with 2 staff from OECI in your home or at the centre. At this meeting staff will speak to you about what is going well, and what concerns you may have for your child. An Individual Plan will be developed.

7. What is a Key worker?

A Key Worker is allocated to each family who are eligible for services from OECI. The Key Workers role is to understand what is important to your family, develop a program/plan and to provide information and advice as required. The Key Worker will involve other therapists and educators from OECI as well as other professionals from other agencies if required. We take the opportunity to work in the child’s natural environment to allow the child to learn across the day.

8. What is an IFSP?

Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) is a planning process. It assists us to work in a co-ordinated way to establish goals that reflect the families concerns and priorities. The family decide who will attend these meeting. Attendees may include other family members and other professionals who are working with the family.

At this meeting we will:

  • Listen to the family’s needs, concerns and priorities.
  • Talk about family strengths, resources and options.
  • Locate and share information to help the family to make informed decisions.
  • Assist families to co-ordinate the services they are receiving.
  • Develop a plan for service delivery.
  • Review the plan on an annual basis.

9. What is Family Centred Practice?

Family Centred Practice means families are at the centre of the intervention. The family decide priorities and needs of the whole family. Professionals work in collaboration with the family to meet those needs.

Services are offered flexibly in order to meet the changing needs of the individual family.

Families will be encouraged to have an advocate at any meeting if they so desire.